Claim My Free School Meal
In addition to the universal free school meals for key stage one pupils, free school meals are available to children whose parents receive certain benefits.
These include one or more of the following:
- income support;
- income-based Jobseekers' allowance;
- income-related employment and support allowance;
- income-based and contributions-based JSA or ESA on an equal basis;
- child tax credit, provided you are not entitled to working tax credit, and hae an annual househole income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190;
- support under part VI of the immigration and asylum act 1999;
- guarantee element of state pension credit; or
- universal credit - during the initial roll-out of the benefit.
Where parents are entitled to working tax credit during a four-week "run-on" period immediately after their employment has ceased, or after they have started to work fewer than 16 hours a week, their children are entitled to free school meals.
Children who receive income support or income-based Jobseekers' allowance in their own right are also entitled to free school meals.