Taking Care of Yourself
The most important thing is you enjoy what you eat.
Try to eat lots of these
- Fruit- fresh fruit, dried fruit, canned fruit, fruit juice
- Vegetables- frozen, fresh, canned, raw, cooked
- Carbohydrates- pasta, potatoes, rice, cereals, cous cous, noodles, bread
Eat some of these
- Protein- fish, meat, eggs, pulses & beans
- Dairy- yoghurt, cheese, milk
Eat only a little of these
- Fats- margarine, cream, ice cream, cakes
- Sugars- fizzy drinks, sweets, chocolate, ice cream, cakes and biscuits
- Choose what you eat sensibly. The best way to stay fit and healthy is to vary your diet, eating foods from each food group. Have a look at the Balance of Good Health food wheel to see how much of each food type you should eat
- Try to reduce the amount of salt you eat- don't add salt to food. There is a lot already contained within food, in cereals and bread and lots of other things.
- Try to limit snacks in between meals- 2 per day should be plenty. One in the morning and one in the afternoon, and of course try to make them as healthy as possible.
- Take lots of exercise - why not walk to school, check out the fun activities at the local leisure centre and play games with your friends