Why Have a School Lunch?
There are many reasons why children benefit from staying for school lunches. Children use up a great deal of energy during a full school day. They need to concentrate during lessons, let off steam at play times and recharge their batteries for the afternoon. Eating a school meal helps to achieve this and provides the following:
- Hot, Healthy and Nutritionally Balanced Menus which meet the new government standards.
- A selection of homemade products and recognised meals that provide choice and variety to suit all tastes.
- Value for money, two course meals.
- Convenience – saving you time preparing packed lunches.
- Enhanced learning abilities – studies have shown that children concentrate better in lessons if they have had a fulfilling lunchtime meal.
- Teaches children the social skills involved with eating with others and how to make choices – learning need not stop when the lunch bell goes.
- Allows a child to relax in a safe, supervised environment with friends.
City Catering, as a non-profit making service, is committed to delivering the highest standards of service. To help us achieve this, parents can be assured that:
- All primary menus comply with the government food group and nutrient standards for school meals.
- Many parents will have noticed the improvements that have taken place on our menus and we exceed the standards in many areas.
- Food purchasing procedures are subject to rigorous control measures, from sourcing safe ingredients, ensuring the safest delivery and storage procedures and the safest hygienic food production methods. We have actively removed unnecessarily processed foods and use local produce on our menus whenever possible.
- We regard your child as a valued customer and serve children in a friendly and supportive manner, helping them to expand their eating experience with care.
- We do not knowingly use foods containing genetically modified ingredients and we do not use artificial additives and colourings.
Healthier Eating for a healthier life.
City Catering is a partner in the Southampton Healthy School Partnership and is committed to developing meal options that are both nutritious and healthy, when taken as part of a balanced diet. Encouraging children to eat certain foods during their formative years puts in place eating habits that they will follow throughout their life. It is important that children learn the basics and as we provide food in an educational environment, we are able to help educate children about the importance of healthier eating choices.
Many of our employees are mums too and there is no better feeling for them than to see smiling faces and empty plates at the end of lunchtime.
Why not encourage your child’s healthier eating habits by playing the games with them, within the “funfair”.