Claim My Free School Meal
What are the criteria for free school meal entitlement?
To claim free school meals pupils and/or their parents/guardians must be in receipt of either:
• Income support (IS)
• Income based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)
• Income-related employment and support allowance.
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• Child Tax Credit, provided they do not receive Working Tax Credit, and have an annual income as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs that does not exceed £16,040 (correct as of April 2009), or
• Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
See also www.teachnet.gov.uk/educationoverview/briefinh/freemealsandtrips for the latest information on Free School Meal entitlement criteria.
Where are free school meals applications processed?
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to present to the Administration Officer of the school that your child attends the original Inland Revenue form TC602, which shows clearly if you are entitled to free school meals or documentation proving that you are in receipt of IS, IBJSA, Income-related employment and support allowance, support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 or guarantee element of State Pension Credit. It is also your responsibility to inform the school if your circumstances change. If you continue to claim free school meals when you are not entitled to, this is fraud and you will be required to pay back the cost of the meals.