Cassoulet is a hearty white bean casserole. Its savory flavor comes from a mixture of herbs and spices
Country of Origin:
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Haricot Beans (dried)
Bay Leaf (dried)
Onions (1 whole & 1 chopped)
Garlic (peeled & crushed)
Leeks (sliced into rings)
Carrots (peeled & cut into slices)
Tinned Tomatoes (chopped)
Parsley (fresh chopped)
Breadcrumbs (fresh & white)
1. Soak the haricot beans in plenty of cold water – overnight.
2. Drain & rinse the beans under running cold water.
3. Place the beans in a large saucepan together with 3 pints of cold water and bay leaf.
4. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Let the beans boil rapidly.
5. Peel one of the onions and stick the cloves into it and add the beans. Turn the heat down, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 1 hour. Test the beans by sticking the sharp end of a knife into a bean to see if they are tender.
6. Drain the beans – reserving the juices. Remove the onion and bay leaf.
7. Chop the remaining onion. Put the oil into a medium frying pan and heat for 30 seconds before adding the chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry for 5 minutes.
8. Add the chopped leeks, carrots, mushrooms, chopped tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, paprika, thyme and 330ml of the juices from the beans.
9. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Stir in the cooked beans, breadcrumbs and parsley.
Crusty french bread.
These indicators are for guidance only. You are responsible for reading the recipe carefully
and checking all packaging and ingredients you are using, to ensure they are suitable for your
diet and/or medical needs. AVF Marketing will not accept any liability for any situations that
might arise if this advice is ignored.
Back to list