Welsh Cakes are a traditional Welsh snack. The cakes are also known as bakestones in Wales because they are traditionally cooked on a bakestone.
Country of Origin:
Preparation Time: 10-15 Minutes
Flour (self raising)
Currants or Sultanas
Mixed Spice (dried)
1. Sieve the flour and salt together in a mixing bowl.
2. Rub the butter and remaining dry ingredients together until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add the beaten egg and a little milk to make a firm dough. Do not make it to sticky.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1-2cm thick. Cut into rounds and cook on a hot buttered griddle or heavy frying pan for approximately 10 minutes turning when the underside is brown.
5. Serve warm or cold with a dusting of caster sugar.
Served hot or cold. They are sometimes split and spread with jam or butter accompanied by a pot of tea.
These indicators are for guidance only. You are responsible for reading the recipe carefully
and checking all packaging and ingredients you are using, to ensure they are suitable for your
diet and/or medical needs. AVF Marketing will not accept any liability for any situations that
might arise if this advice is ignored.
Back to list