Claim My Free School Meal
Parents who pay for their child to have school meals could save around £580 per year if they qualify for free school meals.
A child may be entitled to receive free school meals if their parent/carer is entitled to receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit.
Even if your child currently takes a packed lunch to school you will still save money and also time; it has been estimated that they could save up to 190 hours a year, which is the time needed to make packed lunches that meet the nutritional standards of school meals – that’s just over a week!
In addition schools receive £1150 additional funding for every child registered for Free School Meals. This funding must be directly targeted at Free School Meal pupils.
Parents and carers are asked to make a claim if they believe that they may be entitled to free school meals for their children and do not already do so. Our catering team provides an excellent range of healthy lunch options that are enjoyed daily by a significant number of our pupils. Their child may well be able to access these free of charge.
To make sure that your child does not miss out you can claim online at www.caerphilly.gov.uk or get advice by contacting Catering Services on 01443 864055 (or email email@example.com).