Why have a school lunch?
This is what Marcia Lewis, Principal Officer for Catering has to say about primary school catering in Caerphilly County Borough Council.
“Having been involved in school catering for many years, the jokes about lumpy custard and soggy cabbage could not be further from the truth. In fact, there has never been a better time to stay for a school meal. We have many years experience in feeding children in schools and know the important part that school lunches play in the whole school day. A good quality balanced lunch will help your child concentrate during lessons and let off steam at play times and recharge their batteries for the afternoon and we offer an excellent healthy choice menu at only £1.90 for a 2 course meal and drink.
Starting Primary School for the first time is an important and exciting step for your child. We'd like to make sure that every child feels both welcome and cared for throughout their school day, which is why Cati, our school meals mascot, would like to invite your child to join her at lunchtime.
Schools are ideal places to encourage children to eat healthier options so helping to prevent childhood obesity and other health problems. Our experienced and fully trained catering staff can support you in caring for your child by following a healthy and tempting menu that meets Welsh nutritional guidelines.
We work in partnership with Caerphilly Health Alliance Nutrition Sub Group and one of our main priorities is to increase the uptake of fruit and vegetables by children. We are proud to announce that we have won an Award For Action Locally (AFAL) award from the Food Standards Agency Wales for our Healthy Food Trainers initiative.
Benefits of a School Meal
There are many benefits in your child having a school meal we’ve listed a few;
- Time saved in the mornings not having to prepare lunch, plus there’s no worry about keeping the food fresh and hygienic until lunchtime.
- Children benefit from sitting down and eating together at a table and are encouraged to try new foods.
- Meals are balanced and healthy and there is variety from one day to the next.
- We cater for vegetarians, special needs including medical diets and religious needs.
- We have strong links with the local leisure centres through Cati who is our fit and healthy crocodile character.
- Your child can join in with promotions, competitions and fun days
- Your child can join in with special meals that link in with subjects being taught in class
- Enjoy events such as a Christmas party lunch and other special themed menus
- 2 Course Meal and Drink for only £1.90
- Our website will enable us to have stronger links with schools via the curriculum, therefore, helping us to develop your child
- We actively promote and encourage healthy eating and like to make eating meals an enjoyable and valuable experience.
You can find out more about the Welsh Assembly Government's Appetitie For Life initiative here
You can read about the Food Based Standards in Primary Schools here
Caerphilly Catering Services is a non-profit making service and is committed to delivering the highest standards of quality and service.
School meals are excellent value for money they not only provide great food but are great fun too! “So why not treat your child to a school meal.”