Paying for school meals
Cashless and online payment for school meals
Depending on what secondary school your child attends, we offer different options to pay for school meals.
Cashless card systems
The following schools operate a cashless catering card payment system. This system allows your child to put money on to a special card via a cash revaluation terminal located in the school. The card is then used to pay for food and drink in the canteen.
Bedwas High, Blackwood Comprehensive, Heolddu Comprehensive, Lewis Girls Comprehensive, Oakdale Comprehensive, Risca Comprehensive and St Cenydd Comprehensive
Biometrics systems and security
Pontllanfraith Comprehensive, Rhymney Comprehensive and Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni (Y Gwindy site) School operate a biometrics payment system, which uses finger-scanning technology. When finger scanning is used, it measures a number of reference points and turns this information into a digital signature. This unique digital signature is stored on the catering system and the image of the fingerprint is then destroyed.
This system allows your child to put money on to their account via a cash revaluation terminal located in the school and is then used to pay for food and drink in the canteen.
The suppliers of the system, have stated that:
- The data is encrypted for further security.
- The data cannot be used to recreate an image of the child’s fingerprint.
It is our policy that once a child leaves school their record is deleted from the database and the biometric data is immediately deleted. The digital signature is only stored for people who are actually at the school and no biometric records are retained for leavers.
Free school meals on cashless card and biometric payment systems
Both cashless card and biometrics system works the same for all children whether they pay or have a free school meal. The amount allocated for the free school meal will be automatically added onto the system.
Benefits of cashless card and biometric payment systems
- The removal of cash exchanges at lunchtime improves the speed of service for your child
- Your child's meal detail is recorded each day, which means you can keep track of what your child eats
- Discourages the misuse of school dinner money through spending in shops outside of the school grounds
- Account statements are generated each half term, on request, or weekly if on email thereby parents can keep track of the money being spent and the account balance
- For children with free meal entitlement the value is entered automatically onto the system, making it the same for everyone
My school is not shown above
For all other secondary schools in Caerphilly not listed above please contact the school directly for further information on school meals.