Taking Care of Yourself
The most important thing is you enjoy what you eat.
Try to eat lots of these
- Fruit - fresh fruit, dried fruit, canned fruit, fruit juice
- Vegetables - frozen, fresh, canned, raw, cooked
- Carbohydrates - pasta, potatoes, rice, cereals, cous cous, noodles, bread
Eat some of these
- Protein - fish, meat, eggs, pulses & beans
- Dairy - yoghurt, cheese, milk
Eat only a little of these
- Fats - margarine, cream, ice cream, cakes
- Sugars- fizzy drinks, sweets, chocolate, ice cream, cakes and biscuits
- Choose what you eat sensibly. The best way to stay fit and healthy is to vary your diet, eating foods from each food group. Remember the Eat Well Plate which shows the foods required for a balanced diet.
- Try to reduce the amount of salt you eat - don't add salt to food. There is a lot already contained within food, in cereals and bread and lots of other things.
- Try to limit snacks in between meals- 2 per day should be plenty. One in the morning and one in the afternoon, and of course try to make them as healthy as possible.
- Take lots of exercise - why not walk to school, check out the fun activities at the local leisure centre and play games with your friends