Free School Meals
Reception and Years 1 and 2
Since September 2014 all reception and key stage 1 pupils have been entitled to a free school meal which represents an annual saving of approximately £400 per child.
All other year groups
Pupils in key stages 2 and 3 may also be entitled to a free school meal.
What are the criteria for free school meal entitlement?
To claim free school meals pupils and/or their parents/guardians must be in receipt of either:
• Income support (IS)
• Income based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)
• Income-related employment and support allowance.
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• Child Tax Credit, provided they do not receive Working Tax Credit, and have an annual income as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs that does not exceed £16,040 (correct as of April 2009), or
• Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
See also www.teachnet.gov.uk/educationoverview/briefinh/freemealsandtrips for the latest information on Free School Meal entitlement criteria.