Shepherd's pie is a traditional British dish that consists of a bottom layer of minced beef in gravy, which id covered with mashed potato and optionally a layer of cheese.
Country of Origin:
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Stock cube (vegetable)
Potatoes (peeled & diced)
Potatoes (sweet-peeled & diced)
1. Place the peeled diced potatoes into a medium sized saucepan. Cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
3. Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth. Put to one side until needed.
4. Place the oil into a medium frying pan and heat for approximately 30 seconds. Add the onions and mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Add the minced beef and continue to fry off for a further 10 minutes.
6. Make up the stock – crumble the stock cube into the 300mls of hot water, stir well.
7. Add to the meat mixture.
8. Add the carrots & lentils to the meat mixture. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Make up the cornflour into a paste- add a tablespoonful of water to the cornflour and stir until smooth.
10. Add the cornflour mixture to the cooked meat mixture.
11. Continue to stir until the mixture has thickened.
12. Place the mixture into a oven proof serving dish. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
13. Spread the mashed potato on top of the meat mixture.
14. Place into the middle of the oven 200ºC, 400ºF or Gas Mark 6 for 45 – 60 minutes or until thoroughly heated through and golden brown on the top.
Serve with a selection of fresh vegetables and gravy.
These indicators are for guidance only. You are responsible for reading the recipe carefully
and checking all packaging and ingredients you are using, to ensure they are suitable for your
diet and/or medical needs. AVF Marketing will not accept any liability for any situations that
might arise if this advice is ignored.
Back to list